Moving into your first place is, no doubt, super exciting — but, it can also be a bit overwhelming. Making sure you have everything you need before moving day can help you feel less stressed when the big day finally arrives. Use this helpful checklist to make sure you aren’t forgetting anything important.
It’s going to take some time to completely settle into your apartment. You might want to set up your bed and unpack your bedroom boxes first, so you’ll have somewhere to lounge and sleep in between organizing your new home. Here are the bedroom basics:
- Bed frame and mattress
- Pillows and bedding (sheets, comforter, and a blanket)
- Clothing hangers and a shoe rack
- Nightstand and lamp
- Storage options, like a dresser or under-the-bed containers
In addition to the toiletries you use every day, pack the stuff you won’t use as often, like a first aid kit and medicine in case you get sick or hurt, and a toilet plunger. It’s also a good idea to bring a bath mat, so you don’t slip and fall after taking a shower.
- First aid kit and medicine
- Shower curtain and bath mat
- Toilet paper and plunger
- Bath and hand towels
- Trash bin and small trash bags
You don’t have to stock your pantry or have a full set of matching dinnerware when you move in, but you do need a few kitchen essentials to get you started. Make sure you’ve got some bowls and plates, utensils, and whatever you might need to heat up food, like pots and pans.
- Plates, bowls, cups, and utensils
- Ziploc bags or food storage containers
- Pans, pots, and a cookie sheet
- Dish towels, paper towels, and an oven mitt
- Trash can and trash bags
- Small appliances, like a blender, coffee maker, or crockpot
Don’t forget the basic essentials, like spare batteries and a tool kit for hanging up art and assembling furniture. You’ll be surprised how often you reach for your hammer and extension cords on moving day. Make sure you have some Clorox wipes or a vacuum in case you want to clean up a bit before unpacking.
- Cleaning supplies and laundry essentials
- Tool kit
- Stepping stool
- Batteries, extension cords, and power strips
- Entertainment essentials, like a TV, speaker, or video game console